Friday 21 June 2013

Top tips for subeditors

There are few things in life that give me as much pleasure as reworking a piece of writing so that it's more succinct. I love making sure that a piece is constructed in such a way that the message is clear, the tone is perfectly suited to the audience and it's both technically and contextually correct.

When I come across a piece - such as the latest post on Grubstreet in which deputy chief sub for City Press, Krash King, is interviewed - that highlights the joys of editing, I'm enthralled. It's been a crazy busy day at the office and taking the time to remember why I do (and love) my job makes a huge difference.


A couple of gems from the article:

"The more questions you ask, the fewer your reader has to."

"They are called deadlines because people die getting there."

“Language is more fashion than science, and matters of usage, spelling and pronunciation tend to wander around like hemlines.” – Bill Bryson

"Know your reporter: I can tell whose copy I’m editing without even a cursory glance at the byline. Every reporter has a textual identity of sorts, from the language and lexicon, to the niggling nuances and cookie-cutter journalism. Show me the story and I’ll show you the reporter. The great advantage for the subeditor, of course, is knowing exactly which red flags to look out for. But don’t keep it to yourself. Inform the reporter. You don’t want to be an enabler."

"Sometimes, just sometimes, you have the pleasure of subediting a writer or reporter who has mastered not only his or her craft, but yours too. Step away from the copy and simply enjoy that rare moment of sheer bliss."

Read the full article here. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment