Tuesday 18 June 2013

Slashing the status quo

I've accepted that English is dynamic; constantly evolving. Lately, I've noticed a change in certain punctuation practises. There's a great article on chronicle.com about the changing usage of the "slash" - not just as a punctuation mark but also as a word.

My favourite change is the introduction of the term "slashers". It's used for people who may have more than one occupation. For example, chartered accountant / musician (or, if you're one of the kids mentioned in the article, chartered accountant slash musician).

I'm seeing more of this in the media space and especially on Twitter where biographies are almost always a "slash up" (yes, I just made that word up) of what you are to different people: journo slash blogger; marketing executive slash mommy to three; or even daughter slash mom slash sister slash jack-of-all-trades slash household executive. That one's my favourite.

Check out the full article here: Slash, not just a punctuation mark anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment